S. P. Arts, Science & J. M. Bohara Commerce College, Shorapur

Established in 1968
Affiliated to Gulbarga University,
Kalaburagi

☰ MENU

About Us

The Shorapur Taluka ranks lowest in the literacy ranking, Late Sri Mahadevappa Rampure, a visionary strongly felt the need of developing the most backward area, educationally. Hence, he moved from pillar to post to convert this dream into reality by establishing Arts & Science for PUC & Degree courses at Shorapur in the year 1968 inaugurated by Shri Veerendra Patil the then Chief Minister of Mysore State.

With the help of the donors Late Sri Prabhu Rao Master. And land donor Sri Mahadevappa Hallad, this marked the beginning of a new era in Shorapur in educational history.

In the year 1978, the commerce course was started with the help of the donor Sri. J. M. Bohra in order to given more knowledge to the children's of traders in particular and to others in general in the same college premises.

In the beginning, the college was started in old palace building. The College shifted to its new own building in June 1980, inaugurated by Sri Gundurao, the then Chief Minister of Karnataka, in 14 Acres of Land with a 16,000 Sq.ft. construction area, 30 Guntas of Garden Area, 6 Acres of Play ground with 400 Mtr. Running track , Kabaddi ground, Kho-Kho ground and also an indoor game facilities like TT, Badminton Carrum, etc.

Under-graduate course in B.A. combinations of History, Sociology, Political Science, Opt. Kannada, History, Sociology. Opt. Kannada. Rural Development, History. Economics, History, Political Science and in B.Sc. with Physics, Chemistry, Maths & Chemistry, Botany, Zoology were started with the commencement of the college and later, in the year 2004 Computer Science as one of the optional subject for B.Sc. with Physics, Maths, Computer Science and Computer Application for B.A. / B.Com started.

Our new college premises is having 14 class rooms, 5 Laboratories, 1 Library, 1 Staff room , 1 Ladies room, and 1 Store room. And Women's Hostel with a capacity of 50 students and Health Centre and Canteen Building which was constructed under UGC X Plan assistance and was inaugurated by Sri Narasimha Nayak, MLA, Shorapur, and Presided by Shri Basavaraj S. Bhimalli, President, H. K. E. Society's, Gulbarga in the Year 2008.

The number of Books in library is nearly 40,000 with a Book Bank facility for SC/ST and Reference Books which is fully Computerized and about 10 Journals, 8 Daily Newspapers and 2 Weekly and 4 Monthly magazines and also Internet facility is provided for the co-curricular activities of our college students and teachers.

At present, the strength of our college is 1323; (1000 boys and 323 Girls) and Teaching staff members, faculty wise, Arts - 6, Science - 8 & Commerce - 03 & Non-Teaching - 09. & Part-time Lecturer - 21. & Society Non-teaching Staff - 16. The College has 4 faculty members with Doctorate Degree and 7 faculty members with M.Phil.